© CC0 | Spieker Fotografie; CC0 Bild, Spieker Fotografie, cco Bild

Town Pharmacy (Rats-Apotheke)

Short facts

  • Einbeck

The Town Pharmacy RatsApotheke on Market Square is situated in a timber-framed house built in 1540.

The Town Pharmacy (Rats-Apotheke) is an impressive timber-framed house on Market Square. After the city fire in 1540, two large house parts were constructed on different vaulted cellars in 1550. The left front building is constructed in the storey construction method on its front side, but the long side facing the street Münsterstraße as well as the side building are constructed in the post-and-beam construction method. Both houses are independent and were only united under one roof in 1590. One of the vault cellars has a groined vault ceiling dated around 1400.

This building belonged to the rich patrician family Raven in the 16th century. On the framing stones to the right of the front steps as well as on the house itself the representation of the Raven’s coat of arms may be seen even today. The swastika is part of their coat of arms - symbol of luck in form of a sun wheel not to be confused with defacements of the swastika. This family owned other properties in Einbeck in addition to the Town Pharmacy so that their coat of arms is displayed on various houses. Furthermore, members of the Raven family became aldermen or mayors on a regular basis. Therefore, the coat of arms may also be found on epitaphs in Market Church.

On the framing stones to the left of the front steps the coat of arms of the Heinemeyer family may be found. This coat of arms is repeated together with the date 1590 and the coat of arms of the Diek family above the shop door. The building belonged to the Diek family since 1562.

Since 1927, the building belongs to the Häussermann-Meineke family. They took care that the timber-framed structure of the façade that had been hidden under plaster was uncovered. From 1996 to 2000, the façade of the Town Pharmacy was thoroughly restored. It was painted in “oxblood red” as upon analysing the historic beams it was discovered that this was the original colour of the façade. Renaissance stucco dated 1561 was uncovered in the staircase. Further reconstruction measures as well as fitting a lift and creating parking spaces in the courtyard took place in 2012.

The Town Pharmacy moved into the timber-framed house on Market Square in 1833, before it had been located in a different building in the street Lange Brücke. Friedrich Wilhelm Sertürner, inventor of the morphine, worked at the Town Pharmacy from 1806 – 1809, but not in today’s building
Today, further to the Town Pharmacy itself, physicians with different specialities have their practice in the Town Pharmacy’s building. 

Get more information on the Town Pharmacy during a guided tour.

Find more information on Timber-framed City.

On the map

Town Pharmacy (Rats-Apotheke)
Marktplatz 15
37574 Einbeck

Phone: +49 55 61 / 93 45 - 0
Fax: +49 55 61 / 93 45 - 55

General information

More like this

Next steps

It appears that you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your web browser to access our site.

For practical and security reasons, we recommend that you use a current web browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, or Edge. Internet Explorer does not always display the complete content of our website and does not offer all the necessary functions.