Tiedexer Straße is the longest row of timber-framed buildings in Einbeck…
In 1540, a hugecity fire burned the entire city to its grounds. After that, starting from 1541, the first new houses were built in this street - a very important long-distance trade route - as well as in the street Torstraße in direction to Market Square. The years of construction from 1541 to 1550 may partially be read from the façades’ carvings.
The timber-framed houses in this street display mostly the following method of construction:
- Three-storey in mixture of post and storey construction,
- A higher ground floor, a mezzanine and a protruding top floor (also called upper-floor),
- Frames made of wattle and loam,
- Ornamental wood carvings and decorations (vee-line frieze, braided rope and fan-shaped rosette) on foundation beams and cleats of the upper floor,
- High, round-arched entrance gates with ornamental wood carvings as well as inscriptions, house marks and guild symbols.
The small roof dormers were used for ventilation of the various attics on that grains and hops for beer brewing were stored and dried.