St. Spiritus Hospital was a place of refuge for the sick and people in need in the 13th century.
The buildings of the hospital consisted of a great hall with a ward, a kitchen and further premises as well as a chapel. The chapel was built in the 14th century and has been used by Greek Orthodox parish Agia Trias (Holy Trinity) since 1970.
Most of the building was destroyed in the great fire of 1540 except for the chapel. The big brick building of the hospital was built in neo-Gothic style in 1865 following the designs of Conrad Wilhelm Hase.
Two crucifixes of the hospital from the 16th century are stored in the StadtMuseum today.