The Old Town Hall originated in the 16th century is located on Market Square.
In 1334, the town hall of Einbeck was mentioned in a document for the first time. After the huge city fire in 1540, the new building was built on the remains of the massive preceding construction – at first only a mighty hall, a timber-framed construction. The remarkable oriels with pointed cone roofs (towers) were only added to the building in 1593/94.
In order to preserve the Old Town Hall for a long time, the building that was in need for rehabilitation was restored from 1870 to 1914. Furthermore, building alterations and extensions were made to modernize the building. Today’s state in the lower part of the town hall is due to a redesign in 1961/62.
During the last centuries, the building was used amongst others as market hall, as facilities for the Town Council, the city savings bank, the finance department, the city administration and the municipal court. On the upper floor, the royal decrees and the city pawn shop were located. The cellar served local residents as wine cellar, council tavern and potato cellar.
Today, Einbeck’s civil registry, the wedding chamber as well as a conference room are located on the ground floor. On the first floor, there are office premises of the company Connect (advertising agency), of Deutscher Kinderschutzbund Northeim e.V. (German child protection association, r.a.) as well as Einbeck Tourism.
The Town Hall on the ground floor is used for various cultural events and public sessions, but it is also for rent for other types of events.
Contact for renting:
Phone: +49 55 61 / 916 - 236
Find more information on Timber-framed City.