The historic water conduit had the important function to drive the four mills of Einbeck.
At the beginning of the 15th century an urban mill ditch was constructed – the so-called mill channel. This channel branched off the river Ilme at the village Hullersen and ran past the Walkemühle (fulling mill) as well as the Upper Mill, Middle Mill and Lower Mill. The Upper Mill is located at the tower Diekturm, the Middle Mill was situated across from today’s fire station and the Lower Mill was located at the end of the street Baustraße, directly opposite from the company KAYSER Filtertech Group. Afterwards, the channel crossed the city wall and moat, and overpassing the streambed of the Krumme Wasser, it was conducted back into the river Ilme in direction to Salzderhelden.
The four urban mills Walkemühle, Upper Mill, Middle Mill and Lower Mill were operated by means of this water channel. Therefore, it was necessary to conduct the mill channel across the stream KrummeWasser and underneath the city’s rampart. For this purpose, a wooden water conduit was constructed that was exchanged for a steel construction in 1894. The passage underneath the rampart that, can still be seen today, was either constructed or repaired in 1559 (according to inscriptions) and altered in 1573.