The medieval Dead Tower can be seen well from the street Auf dem Steinwege.
Its name is derived from the word Tottmühle (mill). The mill possibly existed already since the founding of the monastery of St. Alexandri - maybe even before that.
Back in the day, the area around the Dead Tower belonged to the district of the St. Alexandri Cathedral. This district used to be independent until 1837 and was not under the control of the police.