The Brodhaus belonged originally to the bakers’ guild. Today it is a restaurant.
Chronicler Johannes Letzner reported in 1596 that the building was the present of a monkto the bakers’ guild. In exchange, the monk asked for permanent free-of-charge delivery of hosts for the Holy Communion to the churches of the surrounding communities. The churches supported the bakers’ guild when the house had to be rebuilt after the city fire in 1540.
In 1552, the Brodhaus was rebuilt after the city fire. Further to being the seat of Einbeck’s bakers’ guild, it was also a restaurant. In 1801, the Brodhaus was sold to an innkeeper and has been a “regular” restaurant ever since.
Therefore, the Brodhaus is one of the oldest inns in Lower Saxony! Even today you may enjoy freshly tapped draught Einbecker beerof the brewery in the well-knownrestaurantwith the same name.
The timber-framed building is an example of the late Gothic and early Renaissance periods in Einbeck.
Find more information on Timber-framed City.
Get more information on the restaurant Brodhaus.